TLTR;
As someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about music, online consensus was to start with piano.
I bought a MIDI Keyboard started Piano Marvel (online reading music self help tool?) and now I have completed all the free lessons. I tried others such as Masterpiano but to get advance lesson there is a pay wall (fair enough) but I am uncertain on how to continue learning music.
So, I’m asking around to see if I should pay the subscription? I am sceptical, even doubtful, that I could teach myself with texts books, like some recommend. Is there somewhere else I can look for or are there some other free resource I should look into?
Long Version;
I bought a Keysteps 37 Mk2 because it was more expedient than saving for a Roland FP-30X + the desk & chair & peddles (& I might want to do some synth) etc... It has always seemed to me that music, is some sort of magic, beyond my scope of understanding. However, as I age, I decided to give it a try. Problem being I am starting to feel like the most facilitated roads to learning music are gatekeepted by money. Now I concede the fact that I might have looking in all the wrong places. Other endeavours like; programming, woodworking, art, its (usually) the materials not the knowledge that is the costly part. With music it just seems that leaning tools, the actual knowledge is the costly part. Now look I’m poor, so if I need a desk or bed frame, it is more cost efficient for me to build it. If anything breaks, I just try to fix it first. Cement, soldering, wood etc... I could buy (or download) a book and bash my head against the wall, but with a book, I’m not sure on how, what I am playing, is supposes to sound & it can’t instantly grade my performance.
So, my question should I just cough up the money for some on these online teaching services? Should I just try to find a privet tutor or someone that gives group classes? Am I underestimating & undervaluing the book method, or am I overvaluing these online prescription tools.
Look I’m sure that someone going to say “well it depends on what you want” so my logic is this. Learn Music on how to read & play, then maybe move over to synth or reaper to make/compose my own music & compose my own tracks. Learning about gain & frequency, composing melody etc... is future problem. I really like 2 tones & how he breaks down music. I don’t think I could ever sing, the shear thought gives me anxiety. I’ll get someone else to do that IF I add lyrics. All I want to do right now is to learn how to read & play & future dream play electric bass, fretless (Also a future thing)
So, I am hoping that some people can just give it to me straight answer, or point me in a direction for someone who isn’t the most brightest & probably has no musical proclivities in them, to find a path that isn’t as sheering as being dragged through pavement into a wall.
Submitted 2026-08-26T01:05:18Z by CunningDeath https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1vyieio/trying_to_learn_struggles/?utm_source=ifttt