Hi,
I'm in my 50s, and am thinking about finally trying to learn an instrument (perhaps violin). I have no illusions about becoming an expert, it's just for my own enrichment. But I have ZERO experience. No lessons as a kid, and I can't read music. Any school music "class" when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s (NYC public school) was more like a raucous babysitting experience for the poor teachers, rather than something that actually taught us.
Before even attempting actual instrument lessons, I'd like to at least get a decent baseline knowledge of how to read music. It seems like I could accomplish that much on my own without having to pay someone to hold my hand. Funds are limited.
Is there a good app or online course you'd recommend for an adult learning at their own pace? Preferably something that pairs reading music with actual sound clips as examples?
Submitted 2026-08-27T22:15:41Z by ReReRebuilding https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1w08bmx/resources_to_learn_music_reading_as_an_adult/?utm_source=ifttt
Javier Rodriguez
Thursday, August 27, 2026