Growing up I’ve wanted to play an instrument but in elementary I was told I was too young by teachers to join the music class, switched schools during middle school and was told I was too old to play the piano because that’s for the elementary kids 😭
Step dad said no need for class out side of school because he could teach me
Which is very kind of him! But like I just know how to play a few note on a guitar with no clue how to read a music sheet or how to follow the timing that every musician seems to know to. Like I know the music sheet tells you how long, but I don’t know how long a single of the time measurement thingys is
Asked him but he just said just do the notes the same time the song normally does it and goes back to telling me to play notes for practice
What’s like every music thingy I need to learn before even holding an instrument? I have diagnosed OCD so not learning all those things in proper order before hand makes me like I’m not allowed to touch the instrument til I do because I haven’t earned it yet so I don’t touch it unless it’s practice that has to be done instead out of fun like I want
Hoping to play piano and kalimba.
Submitted 2026-08-31T07:03:16Z by Tibbyisdoodling https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1w3652r/how_do_i_learn_to_follow_the_timing_in_music/?utm_source=ifttt