I’ve always had this dream of being a singer and musician. Ever since I was younger, I’ve wanted to create music and be able to play instruments, but I’ve never been able to fully commit to it. Throughout my life, I’ve taken vocal lessons, guitar lessons, and piano lessons multiple times, but I always ended up getting distracted by other things or life just getting in the way.
Recently, I’ve been thinking about how much I genuinely want to learn and actually stick with it this time. I want to become well-rounded and learn my instruments properly, not just be someone who can copy tutorials.
Right now, I own a keyboard, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass. Piano is the instrument I have the most experience with. I can usually follow tutorials and play songs because I know where the keys are, but I don’t actually have a strong understanding of theory, chords, scales, or how to truly play the instrument.
I guess I’m wondering where I should start. Should I focus on one instrument first? Should I learn music theory? Should I start with piano since I have the strongest foundation, or should I focus on guitar because it’s more common for songwriting?
For anyone who learned multiple instruments or became a musician later on, what would you recommend? I’d love any advice on how to build a proper foundation and actually stay consistent this time.
Submitted August 2, 2026 at 05:04AM by crazy_girl444 https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1vdc5g4/ive_always_dreamed_of_becoming_a_musician_but_i/?utm_source=ifttt