Hi all, beginner-intermediate guitarist here, spent the last 1.5 years practicing guitar on a daily basis. I practiced for at least an hour a day aside from some vacations and assume i have about 750 hours of practice time. I love playing the guitar and have a thorough understanding of chords, scales, CAGED, etc and can play several more "complicated" songs well such as Little Wing and Sultans of Swing.
Anyways, i found a great deal on a Donner DEP-20 keyboard yesterday and have always thought in the back of my mind that I want to learn how to play some piano, especially so that i can play Linus & Lucy one day (Snoopy song). One day I want to start a rock band, and i don't want to lose my guitar skills. I imagine if i just stop practicing guitar for 6months and focus on learning piano, i will be a weaker guitarist, correct? I don't necessarily have time to practice both every day.
If anyone has experience with learning these two instruments or is a multi-instrumentalist, what is your take? Stick to practicing guitar 1hr/day or switch to learning the piano for a bit?
Thanks,
Submitted 2026-08-20T13:42:07Z by CandleCompetitive831 https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1vtjve7/should_i_stick_to_practicing_guitar_daily_or_also/?utm_source=ifttt
Javier Rodriguez
Thursday, August 20, 2026