I'm a person who has no formal music education, but I've always been curious about music theory and producing music and got into it a little bit, and I wanted to be able to recognize intervals because it seemed like a prerequisite for making anything good.
But how was I going to commit to learning it when I had so many other things going on in my life, balancing work, life and other interests, especially since I've started and not completed so many other things?
And a thought occurred to me... I open new tabs on my browser hundreds of times per day, what if I could place the ear training there so that I can't avoid it. It started off as a local new tab extension for chrome that I coded up and actively and passively trained for a few days, and in less than a week I was getting really good at it.
Every time I opened a new tab I was greeted with a piano with the gamified interval ear training, and 90% of the time I would just ignore it and open the website I was interested in that moment. But those 10% of the time, I ended up doing a short practice session.
A month has passed and I'm now really good at it... to the point that my musical friend was surprised how good I got. And I thought it would be cool to share it with others. But this time as a website because it's just easier and the same new tab experience can be achieved by setting it as a home page.
Aside from that, the thing that made this really helpful for me as a beginner were the mnemonics. For every interval up to an octave, I've found and added a short mnemonic melody to help memorize and recognize the intervals better.
This is a completely free resource, and it will stay free, so I guess this post should be fine (mods?)
I called it EarPrep and you can have a look here if you're interested.
I soon want to start training harmonic intervals and chords, so any tips for that would be helpful too.
EarPrep
Submitted 2026-08-21T16:51:40Z by Best_Conclusion7100 https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1vulsng/how_i_learned_melodic_music_intervals_in_less/?utm_source=ifttt