I love music. I deeply deeply regret not having started as a child. I feel like I am behind. Yesterday was my first day in university, I'm starting a degree in music and musicology specifically in music education. I play eastern oriental percussion, mainly the Riq. I will be picking up the Ney in uni too. I am really excited for what is to come but I am full of regret and sadness that I am only starting now. Can you give me some encouragement? I practice every day a lot, I listen for hours every day trying to learn different new concepts, I have already been taking 3 hours of group music classes every week for the past ~6 months. Now in uni I will have another 3 hour group music class every week, other than the theory courses.
I just feel really worried that I will never achieve my goals and that is weighing me down a bit. Thank you in advance for your help.
Submitted 2026-09-09T06:31:44Z by RoyZeee https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1wbdopn/i_started_learning_percussion_around_1_year_ago/?utm_source=ifttt
Javier Rodriguez
Wednesday, September 9, 2026