I'm 26 and thinking about learning my first instrument. I love music, but I can't read music and I'm not really interested in a super academic approach. I'd rather learn gradually by playing songs I actually enjoy.
I'm stuck between a nylon-string guitar and a digital piano. I mostly listen to older Brazilian, French and Italian music, jazz, soundtracks, and some classical/flamenco stuff. I love the sound of Baden Powell and Paco de Lucía on guitar, but I also really like the Amélie soundtrack and honestly just love the sound of piano in general.
What matters most to me is being able to play alone and still have it feel like a complete piece of music. I also don't see myself practicing for hours every day for months before I can play something that actually sounds good. I want something I can keep improving at casually over time. I don't need to become great at it.
I just want to enjoy making music.
The guitar appeals to me because it's acoustic, portable and warm sounding. Piano seems more self-contained and maybe easier to make sound good early on, although some digital pianos sound a little harsh to me.
Plus, I don't know what I don't know!!!
Any musicians here who can help a clueless guy choose?
Submitted September 15, 2026 at 10:47PM by guaiamunzinho https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1whjmlp/firsttime_instrument_player_nylon_guitar_or/?utm_source=ifttt
Javier Rodriguez
Tuesday, September 15, 2026