So I would like to start to get into music. Overall, my goals are to understand music theory and make some beats for fun. From the reading I have done, many people suggest learning an instrument as one of the best ways to understand music theory. I already own an acoustic guitar, but for the genre of music I am interested in making (breakbeat and more electronic things), I am not sure how useful learning this instrument first would be.
I am open to buying a keyboard and I would have the means to do so. From what I understand, most people say that learning music theory is easier on a keyboard and that it is better for beat-making too. I just want to get into music as a hobby and wanted to see others' thoughts on how valuable a keyboard is!!
Submitted September 29, 2026 at 11:27PM by Fluffybunny5106 https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/1wttajx/should_i_buy_a_keyboard_if_i_own_a_guitar/?utm_source=ifttt
Javier Rodriguez
Tuesday, September 29, 2026