I use FL Studio. I've always made it a habit to take advantage of side chaining to help my drum sounds stand out in the mix. I've always done it in one way, where my synths are played through Fruity Parametric EQ (either version 1 or 2) acting as a high pass filter, using the intensity slider (not the frequency knob) to duck the low end according to the kick and snare, using Fruity Peak Controller.
I've always wondered "Would it be better to have the EQ only duck the equivalent frequency band that the kick and snare occupy?" but I haven't been able to figure out how pull that method off effectively, and I have no idea whether it's truly better or not.
Basically, long story short, what's a better method to use for side chaining, ducking the low end like a high pass filter, or ducking a specific frequency band like a notch filter?
Submitted December 13, 2017 at 08:13PM by AtlasVulpes https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/7jnayr/what_is_a_better_method_of_side_chaining_a_high/?utm_source=ifttt