I have an old friend who is interested in making music back a few months. Day and night he writes lyrics. He can finish writing a lyrics in a day or less. So I taught him the in's and out's of fl studio with him paying attention beside me. Mins later he is on his phone watching bad asian tv shows ( not disrespecting, it's really bad ).
Before navigating him to use fl, I had asked him if he only want to write lyrics or produce them himself, he said he wanna sing, write AND PRODUCE. It's a lyrical song. And he wanna learn "EDM". Cuz he watches a girl sings some bad lyrics coupled with "EDM" in the background ( she stole the drop from Chainsmokers - Closer and replaced with piano ). He doesn't even know the what EDM is per se.
Since he doesn't know music theory so i brought out the fl studio theory sheet ( aeolian ) where u can just apply notes on the right key. Then I followed exactly and made a melodic rhythm on the fl piano. I pushes him to do the same like I do but in different melody. He got lazy and made a upstairs melody then send it to me.
Did I mentioned he was kicked out of school cuz he got a bad temper and was involved in a fight? And he is in his home all day either watching bad shows or social media stalking.
I unfriended him and move on.
Til now, I got a new "friend" who is a doctor. Okay, so he must be better then. My god, I can't even listen to him sitting literally next to him and placed my ear to his mouth. He ain't got a sore throat he's healthy. I myself is a depressed person and he is not. He told me he bought Focusrite 2i2, yep he keep repeating Focusrite which is annoyingly enough. And dumb it in the dust for a couple of months cuz he doesn't know how to use Ableton Lite which came with Focusrite. He got Mac, Windows PC and a great phone with internet. And can't go to youtube and type ableton tutorial?
I have only got my trusty laptop and a phone. My phone has been broken and I'm left with no phone.
So being the worst person I am, I told him to use FL and taught him in an hour or so. Actually it is an hour and a half but i'm repeating the same thing more than twice cuz he ain't understanding it.
Oh, I taught him how to open the mixer, playlist, and channel as well as adding what is available in the fl plugin. How to open the piano roll so you can put random notes in there and be a star. Showed him an EQ which is just lows and highs. Nothing else.
In the end he says it's too difficult. Difficult. Yep. A program where kids know how to use in less than 5 min and it is difficult for a 30 ish year old man. Kinda like playing with paint in Windows. This is still goin' on atm and he says he will get back and get fl. I also learned science in my high school if that matters.
These doctor aren't as smart as someone who reads a lot of books understanding and executing instructions everyday in their head.
When I started I have no one to teach me fl. I first watched Avicii interview then he mentioned fl so i try it out.
I don't know if this post will disrespect the rules but i'm trying my best to be the worst person I am.
TLDR; regretted to teach fl to 2 person whose life is not meant to make but listen to music.
Submitted November 11, 2017 at 09:33AM by DarkestAngel56 https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/7c85o8/have_you_ever_taught_someone_only_to_regret_why/?utm_source=ifttt