I frequently download free VSTs when I see links to them pop up around the internet while using my laptop and at other times while using my PC. When I've paid for a VST I usually just run the installer on both, or copy the dll files from one computer to another with a USB drive. Doing this can get quite tedious for a large number of free VSTs so I was wondering - how do you guys go about keeping VSTs 'synced' across systems? Has anyone tried storing the dll files on something like OneDrive/Dropbox and then setting that as their VST folder so that they're avaliable in the cloud, or does that not work?
This question also applies to project files and sample collections.
I suppose an easy way round this would be to keep all your audio data stored on an external drive which you plug into either machine when you're doing work. At the moment I just write the date I copied a folder onto the other computer at the end of the folder name so I know if something on one computer or the other is out of date.
What's your way of keeping things in sync?
Submitted May 13, 2017 at 11:47AM by MarkyparkyMeh https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/6ay6t6/people_who_use_both_a_desktop_and_a_laptop_for/?utm_source=ifttt