Hello, this post is longer than I'd like it to be but as I looked through it, I felt like it gave an accurate representation of what I'm trying to say. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help.
So, I am fairly new to making electronic music although not completely. I've been playing guitar for decades and using DAW's for decades but only in the past few years have I used Midi. I use Logic Pro X and Abelton, I know how to program midi, etc.
However, I still have to use a lot of presets as I haven't fully learned how a synth works from the ground up. I am in the process of learning and I do know some things. Here is where the Bass Station question comes in:
I did have the Bass Station plug in to use in Logic and Abelton but every time I would open it, it would say I haven't registered it and make me do it all over again until eventually it ran out of registrations. I emailed them, they never emailed me back.
I took a trip to guitar center and messed with the analog version of the Bass Station 2. As far as a learning process, it really seemed to help that there were real buttons, this made me very interested in getting one.
But here is my dilemma; If I have to record it analog I can't go back and change anything from what I understand. There might be parameters I want to change in the middle of a synth riff for example but I may not have enough hands to do that, with midi, I do it after the fact it's not a problem.
I know it will work as a midi controller but is there anyway to make Logic Pro X see the analog and turn it into midi? Or, perhaps is it possible to buy the plug in again, use the Bass Station 2 as midi controller and it controls the plug in with each analog switch, button, knob, fader, etc? Without going and having to program all of that stuff in, for it to just know, for example knob A on the analog unit, so when I turn Knob A on the analog unit, will it turn the same exact knob A on the plug in?
Am I missing anything here? Feel free to interject stuff you maybe think I didn't ask because I didn't know how to ask and what would help me out here.
I'm not against learning synths on software synths but if this is at all possible I'd like to own that Bass Station 2 synth.
As far as the midi controllers I have now, I have an Akai MPK 225, I do not use it for MPC, just as midi controller. I also have an M Audio Axiom 61. I don't use them all the time, a lot of times I just program in piano roll and do automation with my track pad on my Mac.
The synths I have are the ones that come with Logic Pro X and Abelton standard live 9. I don't really use the Abelton ones. I use Alchemy in Logic the most.
I feel like learning on Alchemy might be too difficult to learn on. Being that, it is a regular synth and I understand how to turn on different things in the oscillator, like a sine or square. But alchemy goes way further than that, it has a ton of things I have no idea what they do and then it's also a sampler, so I think they call it a sampler synth? Which makes it even more confusing for someone like me.
Sorry that was long but I wanted to leave a detailed background so you know where I am coming from. I am not new to DAW's nor am I new to music being a guitarist. I know music theory therefore I am able to program these synths to do exactly what I want in a musical sense.
I don't like relying on ONLY pre sets, because it doesn't feel personal. I want to make my own synths, samplers, drum machines, etc.
Most tutorials I see on YouTube seem to be either for people who know nothing or really advanced synth players and there isn't much in that middle spot where I am.
Also a lot of the tutorials can be 2 hours long, only to learn one small thing as the person will ramble and go off on rabbit trails instead of focusing on just teaching. So I am open to being recommend better channels than I've found as well. Heck I'd even be willing to pay for tutorials if they are quality.
Submitted April 14, 2018 at 12:11PM by BlueCosmo5050 https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/8c84pd/noob_synth_programmer_how_to_use_analog_bass/?utm_source=ifttt