Hey!
I've been producing for not too long, about 2 years now. I've experienced with a couple of genres I liked and I also have listened to a very large variety of music genres outside of what I make. However I've come to this point where I don't really know what to make genre-wise.
I kinda do know what I want to make. I like simple, pleasing to the eye music with vocals and some nice harmonies whenever possible. This tends to lean to more mainstream music which I notice in the music I listen to on a daily basis.
However this is very conflicting for me. While I really do enjoy music from the likes of Diplo, DJ Snake, Cashmere Cat & Skrillex (pretty much Bieber's latest album), there is always this urge to be "original". To not follow trends, but to set trends at all times.
The thing is I don't have enough knowledge to even follow the trends (for that kind of music) nor find a way set trends/be original. So, right now I feel stuck when it comes down to what to make. If someone has experienced the same thing or something similar, I'm curious how you learned to solve your issue.
Cheers!
Submitted December 13, 2017 at 08:04PM by -skyreem https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/7jn8hy/askhow_to_find_yourself_musically/?utm_source=ifttt