Hi! I am a singer/songwriter, primarily a guitarist, and I was sort of hoping to expand my toolbox to include piano as well. I can sort of play piano--I mean, I know how to make chords reasonably well, except for inversions, which I understand (very basically) how to do, but need to stop and think before I can do them. But I've never been satisfied with my technique, and feel like it sounds crappy, ha.
I would like to learn how to play piano better--I recently got a keyboard and Mel Bay's Modern Piano Method Grade 1, but I was wondering if there were a better method book to work that might suit my personal goals a little better...
I don't want to shut out the notion of learning classical or jazz piano, but I find it sort of unrealistic at this point. I would like to learn to play piano good enough to be able to write songs with it, but it seems like this involves sort of a different, simpler technique than playing the more formal, technical kinds of music.
Will working just a regular series of Method books make me better at playing piano in the popular style? I'm not aiming to be as good as Elton John or Billy Joel (though that would be killer, lol), just, like, John Lennon or Joni Mitchell. Just enough to where I could write a song or maybe adapt some of my own songs written on the guitar to the piano...
Submitted May 15, 2017 at 07:46AM by AndyPiccolo777 https://www.reddit.com/r/Learnmusic/comments/6b9ncy/need_advice_for_a_good_method_book_on_learning/?utm_source=ifttt