So every time I make nice chords with a nice melody, I have a big problem when I'm making the drop. I don't know if I don't understand how to make a drop or what, but it seems as though the only way to come up with a drop is just mess around with chords and the melody until something sounds cool. I end up just putting an LFO on the chords, and then add in a drum sequence, and then some sort of high pitched lead on top of the chords but to make something that sounds good, it seems like I just have to get lucky when putting the chords in a certain pattern. I've watched a ton of YouTube tutorials on how to make a drop but these tutorials don't help, because they just work for that specific chords/melody. When people like Martin Garrix have a great song with a nice drop, they had to have had some way of doing it, as in, I don't think they just mess around for hours with chords until something sounds good. I guess what I'm looking for is the fundamentals?
For reference, we can take WIEE from Martin Garrix: https://soundcloud.com/martingarrix/wiee
I don't even know if what I said above makes sense, but if it does, can someone help me understand what I'm missing?
Thanks.
Submitted February 17, 2017 at 01:49PM by fjdskal12367 https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/5un5w4/making_a_drop/?utm_source=ifttt