Coming from a hip hop background, I've always been in love with the art of sampling. It was what initially drew me in to producing way back in 2001. I'm on a record label now which changes things a bit. I've always been under the impression that it's fairly safe to sample, and that the only time you have to worry about getting sued is if you've made a considerable amount of money from your music, in which case you've already somewhat "made it".
My question is, what happens in the middle? How do artists like Odesza and Flume get away with sampling the Beach Boys? Or even further, how did J Dilla get away with an entire catalog of music made from sampled copyrighted material? Are they clearing every sample?
I generally try to manipulate my samples to the point of not being recognizable, however I'm sure they could still be spotted.
On a semi-related note- I had one of my originals get flagged on Youtube for copyright infringement because my song sounded like a yoga/meditation song (it does) but the part they flagged for is completely original. It does contain samples, but not the ones they flagged for lol
Any insight is appreciated!
Submitted February 16, 2017 at 01:05AM by scottbrio https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/5ucl43/can_we_talk_about_sampling_again/?utm_source=ifttt