Hey all,
So I'm fairly new to building sounds from samples, but I wanted to lay out my process, and see if I could get some feedback on things I may be overlooking.
So my process given a pack of ~30 wav files, I'd:
First, listen to all the sounds and figure out which ones would make good syths, pads, bass and percussive elements.
Second, sample a single, clear waveform from the sample, detect it's note, and turn it into one the above elements.
Third, with a workspace of more traditionally sounds, go about building music the way I normally would... aka build chord progression with a pad, derive a lead/synth melody and bassline from that, and then build my drum loops from the percussive elements (keeping in key).
My follow up questions are, what other sound elements am I overlooking? What kinds of sounds should I be converting samples into?
I utilize uplifters, downlifters, impacts and effect type sounds, but I mainly use the 2 former as intros and outros to bar groups, and the 2 latter as sudo percussive elements.
Thanks!!
Submitted January 19, 2017 at 02:07PM by r0zar https://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/5oxrel/arrangement_process_with_samples/?utm_source=ifttt